This has turned out to be the best week yet for us.
On Monday Jasonís
grandmother and Aunt Ellen arrived for a visit, Tuesday we celebrated
Melissa and Jasonís third wedding anniversary and now today the best day
of all. We received word from the Bone Marrow Transplant Coordinator that
the sample from Europe is indeed a match with Jason. Our first miracle.
We need a few more but that is the best news we could have had. Some
important administrative things must be accomplished in the next week or
so, such as, will the donor give final approval for the donation and when
will his schedule allow for the harvesting of the marrow. It is not an
easy procedure for him and who knows if this will put a financial burden
on him. But we have to believe that if he put himself on the donor list
he was ready to be one if called. We wish we could tell you something about
the donor but we are not allowed to know his name or country for a full
year after the transplant for reasons that should be obvious. If we did
know we would be hopping a plane, ready to beseech for his help. All we
know for sure is that the donor is a male, from Europe, and he is our
Our expectation is that a decision on the timing for the transplant will be made this week. The question is whether to have Jason take another
round of the trial drug at a higher dose rate (that option just opened up
with the drug trial) and see if that might put him in temporary
remission. His blood counts are not very good with very high blast
counts but the doctor still says we are not in an emergency situation.
They feel they may have time to do one more round to beat back the
leukemia. In the meantime he canít get sick or develop fevers. This is
a delicate dance they must perform but we trust the staff here to make
the right choice for Jason.
Itís amazing how one phone call can have such an impact on you. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers and have a great weekend. We assure you, we will.